Saturday, February 4, 2012

Quick and Easy Granola

I finally got around to making a batch of granola the other day. My Auntie Marge gave me this recipe and a bag of granola last time I went home to Iowa. The granola was quickly devoured and I even bought all the ingredients to make my own, but I just never got around to it until the other day. Now I'm not sure I would go back to the storebought. It's that easy.

Here is the recipe...

4 cups oats (not quick cook or instant, look for old fashioned)
1 1/2 cups whole almonds, shelled, but skin still on (I bought these at Wegmans in the Bulk Section. If your family has a nut allergy, feel free to leave these out)
1/2 cup flax seeds (also bought in bulk section at Wegmans)
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup neutral cooking oil (canola)
1/4 cup honey
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups raisins or dried cranberries
1 cup diced dried apricots
1/2 cup dried banana slices

Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
Mix oats, almonds, flax seeds, brown sugar, salt, and cinnamon in a bowl. In a saucepan warm the oil and honey. Whisk in the vanilla extract. Pour the honey, oil, vanilla mixture over the oat mixture and mix gently, but well. Spread out onto a sheet pan and bake for 40 minutes (stir after the first 20). Cool and break up any clumps. Mix in dried fruit. Makes about 9 cups.

I didn't put the fruit in this time and it was still excellent. Maybe I'll try it with fruit next time.



No comments:

Post a Comment