Saturday, April 30, 2011

Tastes like home, Pork Tenderloins

The other day, I had a craving for a tenderloin sandwich. For those of you that are NOT from Iowa, it's basically a piece of pork, pounded thin, breaded and fried, served with mayo and pickles. Let's just say, it's not on the heart healthy list, but it ranks high on the yummy food I miss from Iowa list. Right up there with Taco Pizza, Checkerboard onion rings, Dutch Letters, and Pella Bologna. What's a girl to do when she lives so far from home?
I decided to make them myself. I found a recipe on allrecipes.com and just improvised with what I had on hand. What do you think?
They actually tasted great! Next time I will get thicker pork so I can pound them out to "fit" the bread better. I like them when they are much larger than the bun.
To my Iowa friends, the green stuff on the plate is broccoli. It's a vegetable. My husband insisted that the pickles slices don't count as a vegetable. Apparently, he thinks that "we" (meaning Midwestern folks) don't eat enough veggies. I told him that we eat plenty of veggies come summertime, when the sweet corn is ready, but he thinks we have to eat them at every meal. Kinda crazy if you as me!

No comments:

Post a Comment