Friday, February 5, 2010

Feels like home

The other day I was a little hungry and homesick. I knew just what to make. (Besides I had about 6 different boxes of cereal open with no place to store them.) So off I went to make Grandma Steenhoek's Gorp.
(warning... I have been told, by my East coast husband, that this is not gorp, but that is what I have called it for 20 some years, so that is what I will continue to call it. Feel free to call is something else if it makes you feel better.)


Here's what you willl need:
1 stick of butter, 1 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup white karo syrup, 1/4 tsp. baking soda
10 cups creal (Crispix and Cheerios)
First measure your cereal into a large pan. I use one of those flimsy turkey roasters. Use what you have

Melt one stick of butter in a sauce pan.

Add brown sugar and karo syrup.
bring this to a boil for 3 minutes.

Then turn off heat and add baking soda. Stir this briskly together

Pour this over the cereal and stir gently to coat


Bake at 200 degrees for 1 hour. Stir every 15 minutes.

mmm. This is a great comfort munchie for me.

Store it tightly covered to keep it fresh.

This reminds me of my auntie Marge everytime I make it. She always served this for The Red Lollipop's Tour of Stores. Some many good memories of her and that store! Man I miss those cute clothes.

No comments:

Post a Comment