Wednesday, February 17, 2010

The Season of Lent

Today is the first day of Lent, and for some unknown reason, I have decided to participate. (Ok, I know why I'm participating, I get the giving it up for God, I just think this time, I might be crazy!)
Growing up I can't remember my family giving up anything, or even eating fish on Fridays. I guess the Midwest Christian Reformed people just leave that one for the Catholics.
The first year MJ and I were married; I tried to do the no meat on Friday thing for him, since he grew up a good catholic boy and all. Well, let's just say, I failed miserably. The first week I made a side dish that had bacon in it, and the second week, I made a salad with bacon bits. (Who knew bacon was part of the meat food group) Turns out bacon bits do not contain bacon, so technically I was ok that week, but you get my point. Turns out it's something I really have to think about.

Now to figure out what I am going to give up. I was going to play it safe and give up alcohol. I have practically been pregnant or nursing for the past 5 years, so not a huge sacrifice. I knew I wouldn't fail, but it kind of felt like cheating. Then MJ suggested the laptop, which I immediately shot down. I need connections to the outside world! Little did I know, the cord would break that night, and the darn thing won't stay powered on. So I felt like that would be cheating. Our friends' whole family is doing no sweets. I laughed that one off. I can't live without them. 40 days is a long time!
Can you tell I'm having a hard time coming up with something?

So guess what I'm giving up for Lent?


SWEETS!

Wish me luck!


Just incase you are worried about my health, I'm fine. Turns out I'm allergic to Keflex. I just need to take some Benadryl tonight, and it should clear it up. I knew I should have made those lava cakes last night.

No comments:

Post a Comment